- Are you curious, excited by experimentation and always looking for a better way of doing things?
- Do you want to keep learning and developing whilst getting hands-on, entrepreneurial, business building experience?
- Do you want to have the opportunity to work closely with exciting start-ups, helping them optimise their tax affairs and watch them grow all the way to an exit?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We are looking to hire high-energy, entrepreneurial and value-adding talent to join Blenheim Chalcot, the UK’s most successful venture builder to help our portfolio create and implement a variety of equity linked incentives specific to the needs of the businesses, investors and management. The role will also have the opportunity to engage on a range of other tax matters including R&D tax incentives and investor linked tax reliefs such as EIS.
We’re a venture builder. At Blenheim Chalcot, we invest more than just funds. We invest our knowledge and experience, our ideas and infrastructure. Our ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries being disrupted by digital including FinTech, EdTech, GovTech, Media, Sport, Charity and more. We are highly entrepreneurial and seek opportunities where digital technologies can disrupt major markets - ventures we have built range from ClearScore to Agilisys and AVADO to even the Rajasthan Royals cricket team.
Each of the 19 companies currently in our portfolio has been conceived and launched by us, and combined they employ over 3,000 employees. Our assets under management stand at more than £1.5bn and total portfolio sales is over £500 million.
We will increasingly work closely with investment and strategic partners ranging from Paypal, FIS, L&G, Tencent, Experian, Google, WorldPay, Imperial College and some of the leading venture capital and private equity companies internationally.
Our team, Venture Builder Services (VBS), exists to support our ventures to be successful quickly, sustainably and with access to the best practice tools, solutions and expertise. We provide a range of services to help new businesses get off the ground, including technology, growth (marketing and sales), talent, finance, legal and tax.
IMPACT BEYOND PROFIT
15% of our partnerships and ventures are charities. These are the British Asian Trust, The Royal Foundation, Onside Youth Zones, and Charity Digital. In the same way that we support our ventures, our Partners provide direct hands-on support to the charities through sitting on the boards and much more.
- Honesty and integrity – trustworthy
- Resilience - keeps going when the going gets tough, remains optimistic in the face of challenges, open to feedback and willingness to change and experiment
- Team work – is collaborative and supportive, elevating and developing others to deliver results
- Innovation - restless to improve, challenges how to make things better
- Deliver results - keeps promises, drives to achieve, commitment to high quality work
- People awareness – collaborative and supportive, respectful
- Commercial awareness - looks for best value solutions for the business, understand costs / revenues, spends money wisely
The Venture Tax Manager is a vital role within the Blenheim Chalcot group and will help our portfolio companies design and implement incentive schemes for their staff and have an opportunity to get involved with those businesses with their wider tax planning.
The successful Venture Tax Manager will play a major role in leading and shaping the tax affairs of the entire Blenheim Chalcot portfolio to:
- help them motivate their key staff members through equity incentives to align them with the shareholders;
- ensure all stakeholders are informed and that their interests are considered;
- make optimal use of all the support offered by HMRC to help entrepreneurial businesses grow and compete; and
- ensure that the requirements and benefits of various incentive schemes are properly considered in corporate acquisitions, disposals and mergers.
Depending on the project, you will need to be comfortable doing the following:
- corresponding with HMRC, submitting returns and agreeing valuations;
- working with cap tables to model option awards;
- explaining tax and finance matters to non-finance people;
- reviewing option agreements, articles and shareholders agreements;
- owning and delivering a program of work: putting a structure around it, breaking it down into discrete pieces with clearly defined outputs;
- working in a highly entrepreneurial environment, focusing on execution and ensuring plans come to fruition; and
- building strong relationships with stakeholders centrally and in the portfolio companies.
This role is an excellent platform for experienced professionals to take their career to the next level and an opportunity unlikely to be found anywhere else.
While this role is primarily focussed on equity incentives to start with, Blenheim Chalcot is always looking to explore new businesses that need their own bespoke tax considerations and advice as well as support with host of other challenges that finance professionals can get involved with. Our portfolio is constantly growing and offers unmatched exposure to a wide variety of businesses in terms of both sector and size, whilst allowing our professionals to work as part of each company’s team rather than as an external advisor.
The ideal candidate will have a track-record in delivering results in a fast-moving business and hence be comfortable with change and uncertainty. Excellent stakeholder management experience is essential to being successful in this role.
The Ideal Candidate
- A qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, and/or CTA) with at least 2 years post qualified, with a good grasp of tax legislation and application.
- Experience with employee share schemes including EMI, CSOP, JSOP and growth shares.
- Familiarity with EIS reliefs and R&D tax credits.
- Ability to work autonomously but also collaborate where necessary.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Energetic, trustworthy, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.
- Be comfortable in a fluid, progressive and dynamic, change orientated environment, and able to deploy:
- a proactive and confident approach; and
- excellent communication and organisation skills.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- Be part of the UK’s leading digital venture builder
- Have the opportunity to be a part of and learn from the incredible talent in BC
- Be exposed to the right mix of challenges, within a culture that promotes continuous learning and development
- A fun and open, if a little cricket obsessed, atmosphere
- Discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary. Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme
- Flexible Benefits: Private Medical and Dental, Gym Subsidies
We have a rigorous recruitment process, which we use for all our roles to ensure we attract the very best talent. Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot must note that we see diversity as something that creates a better workplace and delivers better outcomes. As such, we are keen to maximise the diversity of our workforce and actively encourage applications from anyone and everyone