Stamp Taxes Director
Mazars provide bespoke advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the ever-changing complexities of tax codes domestically and globally in order to meet their commercial needs. Mazars help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position.
We are a rapidly growing Real Estate team aiming to more than double in size.
As a Stamp Taxes Senior Manager or Director, you will be responsible for supporting the tax practice by providing technical expertise and sign-off across all stamp taxes areas on advisory and transactions assignments. The role will involve covering clients across all sizes and types. You will be working closely with interesting clients, both UK and internationally based, as part of a high-performing team committed to providing exceptional client service.
Currently, our tax team deliver across all areas and so there is support required on transactions (corporate and asset), reorganisations, structuring and other ad hoc advisory services to support our clients' business needs.
The opportunity is to join a successful team with a strong potential for future growth, in order to continue the success and development of the tax advisory business. The role will centre around building strong internal relationships, delivering technical excellence and provision of advice in both structured and ad-hoc engagements. Within Mazars, the role has the potential for continued career development for the right individual looking to build an overall business, or an end role for someone looking for a long term home in a friendly firm doing interesting work.
We are particularly looking for individuals with strengths in either:
- Real Estate transactions, covering both corporate and asset due diligence and also wider transaction tax support including structuring and other ad hoc advisory services,
- Infrastructure transactions,
- Corporate and individual business reorganisations and transactions, and
- HMRC enquiries on stamp taxes areas.
The nature of the team and the client opportunities mean that we are able to build a role around the right candidates to offer a varied experience covering a number of corporate disciplines.
Role & Responsibilities
Based on the current team requirements, the role will comprise the following elements:
- Management of the provision of specialist stamp duty and land transaction tax advisory services to our clients, with responsibilities for successfully delivering complex tax technical specialist advisory assignments, while taking a commercial focus;
- The role will be relatively specialist, however, individuals who can develop and maintain client relationships, ensuring exceptional client experience, and winning work proactively across this client base for Tax and other service lines will be a positive.
- Responsible for all engagement aspects, including delivery of high quality advice to client deadlines, negotiating scopes, agreeing fees, and ensuring appropriate risk management;
- Contributing as part of the management team to the development and operation of the wider tax team within London and the national large and listed tax practice;
- Coaching, training and managing the junior team members;
- Monitoring financial performance of engagements, identifying opportunities to improve our performance and implementing strategies to achieve these goals;
- Maintaining and enhancing the strong risk management and high technical quality environment which has been established as part of the London team.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Holds relevant professional qualification such as ACA or CTA (or equivalent).
- Strong project management skills, with a track record of leading teams on complex assignments.
- Demonstrates strong technical stamp tax knowledge and experience.
- Able to build good relationships with both clients and members of the team.
- Good interpersonal and client handling skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to think creatively, generate innovative ideas, develop new initiatives and methodologies.
- Ability to identify issues through sound analysis and application of commercial acumen in all situations.
- Provides assistance, shares experience, provides meaningful feedback and proactively supports the development of others.
- Takes ownership of projects and takes responsibility for quality control.
- Broad experience of managing the financials on clients, monitoring financial performance, identifying overruns and successfully negotiating fees with clients.
- Experience of identifying and converting opportunities for business development on tax clients and across other service lines.
Inclusion and Diversity
At Mazars inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We recognise that being an inclusive and diverse organisation makes us stronger as a business.
We seek to attract and recruit people who reflect the diverse nature of our clients and communities, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, nationality, faith or belief, social background, age and disability. Mazars selects candidates based on skills, knowledge, qualifications and experience.