As a member of the Tax Advisory team within the Edinburgh office your role will be exclusively advisory focussed. You will work closely with the Partner, Director and Manager team to deliver a high quality tax service to entrepreneurial businesses at all times, whilst building up and sharing your own knowledge and expertise across all taxes associated with privately owned business. Your primary focus will be on delivering high quality tax advice, whilst also having a role in managing existing client relationships and actively pursuing new opportunities, thus helping to generate advisory work from new clients.
Rather than being provided with a portfolio of clients, you will assist the Partner, Director and Manager team to actively pursue new relationships with directors and shareholders of owner managed and family businesses. Typically, you will be advising businesses and high net worth individuals on a whole range of issues, including (but not exclusively) group reorganisations, how to tax efficiently structure commercial transactions, share schemes advice, Research and Development tax relief analysis, arranging clients affairs to minimise tax.
• Working with more senior members of the advisory team to develop your entrepreneurial business advisory knowledge and capabilities;
• Researching legislation, including providing technical analysis on the impact that new legislation may have on clients;
• Preparing tax advisory letters, proposals, memos and reports for review;
• Drafting statutory and non-statutory clearances in respect of transactional work, and actively liaising with HMRC;
• Liaising with clients, intermediaries (being banks, lawyers or financial advisors), and colleagues throughout advisory engagements;
• The individual may be required to manage WIP and fees. At very least the individual will need to have an understanding of the WIP and recoveries.
• Maintaining an up-to-date technical knowledge of personal tax and business tax matters.
• Entrepreneurial business tax focus, with a strong technical knowledge from a corporate tax background;
• Experience in entrepreneurial business advisory projects would be preferred but not necessary, as training and personal development will be provided.
• CTA qualified
• Willingness to be involved in complex and dynamic transactions;
• Strong client handling skills and the ability to develop good relationships with clients and other professionals;
• Depending on grade recruited, the individual would be expected to delegate efficiently, review work and have the ability to encourage and foster development of the more junior members of the team;
• Equally the individual will need to be able to work collaboratively with more senior members of the advisory team in delivering advisory projects;
• Excellent communication skills both oral and written;
• Adaptable, organised with a commercial approach;
• Ability to research complex technical issues;
• Ability to exercise judgement;
• Ability to help generate creative solutions to problems;
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding of risk management issues;
• Seeks to progress their career within the tax profession in an advisory environment dealing in wide spectrum issues