A multinational Logistics business based in the Burnley area are looking for a Head of Indirect Tax and Customs to join their growing team. As a part of the Finance Team and reporting to the Group Finance Director, the role as a wide remit with the primary focus on working closely with the business to ensure accurate VAT and tax compliance. The position also crosses over with the trade compliance team so experience with import and export processes is useful.
This is a multinational logistics business based in the Burnley area who are in a period of growth. They have a reputation for looking after their staff and supporting career development.
As Head of Indirect Tax and Customs your roll will cover elements of Indirect Tax, Customs and Trade Compliance:
Key Responsibilities - VAT & Customs
- Provide commercial advice and practical guidance to the Group primarily regarding VAT liability/compliance of new and existing supply chain models (domestic and international post-Brexit).
- You must be able to research and advise on other tax and customs related issues, as and when they arise.
- You will be responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely submission of external VAT reporting requirements for both UK and foreign VAT registrations.
- Ensuring that other reporting requirements are also submitted accurately and on time, such as (but not limited to) Intrastat, EC Sales and RC Sales submissions.
- Support UK Finance teams with month-end and year-end tax processes, including ownership and maintaining control of VAT and tax related GL accounts and reconciliations
- Continually review & improve tax compliance procedures in line with MTD requirements
- Support the business to ensure that the ERP systems and tax-sensitive data remains fit for purposes and in accordance with compliance obligations
- Liaise with and manage the working relationship with HM Revenue & Customs during routine audits and ad hoc enquiries
- Promote the VAT, Tax and Customs awareness across the business, including delivery of training and guidance material
- Ensure the business maintains its status with HMRC, working with relevant departments to ensure processes and control remain fit for purposes and compliant and completion of relevant checks
- Understanding of terms and provision of associated advice and training within the business
- Support the PSA and TAS process and submission for the group
- Work with the Transport/Trade Compliance to resolve any issues and prevent re-occurrence. This will also include liaising with the carriers and customs brokers
- Support the business with the identification and ongoing management of tax risk across the Group, including preparation of SAO external
- Ensure tax strategy across the Group is aligned
- Manage the Trade Compliance Team, ensure all import and export processes are carried out in line with internal policy, including accurate document management, best practise and adherence to regulatory compliance.
- Provide guidance to the business and its subs and matters of export controls, trade sanctions and trade compliance.
The successful Head of Indirect Tax and Customs will be a:
- Qualified Accountant (CTA, ACA or ACCA)
- Experience working in a VAT, tax or customs focused role (either in practice, HMRC or in-house)
- Experience of UK and Foreign VAT compliance processes in a large, complex organisation
- Experienced in dealing with HMRC enquiries and correspondences
- Good Awareness of Logistics Distribution and Supply Chain VAT & Customs rules and requirements
- Highly PC literate - particularly Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Vision
- Preference for an individual who has used an integrated ERP system (ideally SAP)
- Demonstrable experience of dealing with high volumes of complex data, able to summarise and identify anomalies
- High attention to detail, organised and an ability to review and complete work quickly and accurately
- Commercially focused to understand, support & respond to demands from the business for tax support
- Highly motivated and driven individual who will take ownership for issues and tackle them proactively with colleague
£70,000 - £80,000 + bonus + flexible working + other exciting benefits