- An excellent Head of Tax role for this fantastic real estate business
- A rare opportunity to be the Head of Tax of this leading housing association
About Our Client
Notting Hill Genesis (NHG) works in the community, providing homes for lower-income households. This is their primary purpose, and everything else they do supports that aim.
They are one of the largest housing associations in London and the south-east, providing homes for more than 170,000 people in some 66,000 properties across the capital and a further 9,000 in the Home Counties and East Anglia. With a rich history previously as Notting Hill Housing and Genesis Housing Association they merged in April 2018 to form Notting Hill Genesis.
Reporting to the Director for Financial Services, the Head of Tax will lead the tax function (1 direct report as a Tax Manager), developing and maintaining a tax strategy which supports the corporate strategic objectives.
Overseeing all tax aspects of the Group and providing advice in tax matters. More specifically this will include:
- Providing advice in respect of Corporation Tax, VAT and SDLT to the operating divisions, escalating issues where business decisions carry an unacceptable level of risk in relation to tax exposure.
- Acting as a first point of contact for all business tax queries and HMRC, involving tax advisers where necessary.
- Supervise the accounting for tax arrangements within the Group and to regularly review systems to ensure compliance with relevant tax legislation.
Tax support and advice
- Providing advice on tax efficient structuring of all contracts, including joint venture/collaborations agreements and development land acquisitions, seeking external advice where appropriate
- Managing the relationship with the tax advisors, authorising and reviewing engagements with them.
- Monitoring changes in the development pipeline from a tax perspective.
- Working with our divisional commercial team on key tenders and developing a robust tax review process to support the commercial operations.
Tax strategy and policy
- Influence and deliver and maintain the tax strategy for the Group,
- Support the Financial Services Director to formulate the tax business plan, and deliver against this
- Offer up to date tax expertise, keeping abreast of new legislation and legal decisions, and assessing their impact on the Group, making recommendations for change as may be necessary.
- Undertake activities to increase awareness of tax issues around the Group.
- Ensure robust processes and procedures are in place and that these are correctly and fully documented as an integral part of the overall departmental procedures.
- Manage and deliver the Group's tax reporting obligations and ensure accurate and timely submission of VAT, Corporation Tax and other returns.
- Review the Group's annual VAT Partial Exemption calculation and advise on the impact of any financial decisions on the calculation
- Ensure all appropriate tax reliefs are maximised and risks are managed.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate will possess a range of skills and attributes. Ideally you will hold a recognised Tax or Accounting qualification with ACA, CTA, ACCA or an equivalent body. More specifically you must be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of delivering improvements and optimise tax efficiencies.
- Experience of managing and improve processes and develop and educate the business to ensure optimal tax benefits.
- Experience of working in a tax role within a commercial professional environment at least at tax manager / senior manager level or higher.
- Understanding of all tax disciplines to include both direct and indirect taxes.
- Professional knowledge of current tax reporting requirements and time lines.
- Relevant experience in a related field, including experience from within a construction/real estate/house-building group would be a strong advantage.
- Expertise in VAT and/or property (SDLT) is desirable but not essential.
- You will also need to be able to demonstrate; a customer focus, a desire to be accountable and deliver, to focus on service improvement, strong communication skills and ability to lead and inspire.
In support of your application please include a covering letter or supporting statement as to your suitability of the position.
Equal Opportunities for all
NHG promise to always do their utmost to develop an inclusive culture where individuals, teams and the organisation overall are strengthened by this diversity. They work to an Executive Board (EB) sponsored annual equality, diversity and inclusion strategy to keep us focused on what they can improve.
NB: All applications either directly, speculatively or submitted by a 3rd party or agent will be sent to James Rodgers at Page Executive
Applications for this role closes at midday on 26 March
What's on Offer
An Excellent salary and benefits package.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPTAJN-032021-2371388Z
Closing Date: 26/03/2021