Leading insurance business looking to recruit a VAT Manager for the Groups Tax Team.
Your new company
I'm working with a leading insurance business that is looking to recruit a VAT Manager for the Groups Tax Team.
Your new role
As the VAT Manager within a small tax team your key responsibilities will include:
- To ensure that the groups UK Tax Policy is adhered to in respect of indirect taxes including ensuring the group fulfils its filing and payment obligations in all indirect tax matters.
- To maximise the opportunities for creating indirect tax efficiencies where they are compatible with the groups tax strategy.
- To manage risk by maintaining good working relationship with HMRC and by keeping close links with the business to identify at an early stage any areas of concern.
- To act as an advisor and partner to the business units on indirect tax matters.
- To maintain oversight of international indirect tax matters and advise where appropriate.
- To report to the UK co-head of Tax, however is expected to work effectively without supervision for day to day matters.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Group VAT compliance, i.e. ensuring that all Group companies comply with their quarterly VAT return and payment obligations. This also extends to ensuring that the VAT group is kept up-to-date for new acquisitions and disposals / liquidations.
- VAT accounting. This involves ensuring that the group correctly budgets for and accounts for VAT.
- Primary contact within the business and with third parties for indirect tax issues.
- Managing process improvements, including automation of compliance and ensuring best use of existing or new technology solutions where possible and appropriate.
- Providing advice, training, presentations to the business where required.
- Building and maintaining relationships with advisers, other brokers and insurers as required.
- Assisting Co-head of Tax with maintaining a good working relationship with HMRC.
- Dealing with indirect tax audits, correspondence and notices from HMRC.
- Reviewing changes in the legislation and outcomes of cases to ensure the business correctly accounts for indirect taxes and achieves all benefits attainable.
- Communicate key VAT and operational tax issues clearly and concisely to non-tax specialists.
- Be pro-active in identifying and evaluating key indirect tax risks and opportunities within the group, ensuring effective risk management processes and controls are operated by the business,
- Responsible for the indirect taxes sign-off at a standard akin to Senior Accounting Officer requirements.
- Assisting and advising overseas offices, where appropriate, with local indirect tax matters.
- Visits to other UK and overseas offices to provide indirect tax advice and assistance/training as and when required.
- Contribute indirect tax comments as part of any overall tax advice provided to any stakeholders, e.g. in respect of taxes on projects/acquisitions & disposals.
- Provide indirect tax updates to the Co-head of Tax as and when required.
- To work with a significant degree of autonomy, subject to briefing the Co-head of Tax on all significant indirect tax issues as they arise.
- Determine the appropriate use of external advisers to ensure business needs are being met.
- Attendance at relevant external events provided by industry bodies and external advisers.
- Keeping up to date with technical developments and understanding how they may affect.
- Other ad-hoc indirect tax project work.
What you'll need to succeed
To be considered for the role you are likely to be ACA / ACCA / CTA qualified with either professional services or in-house experience. Insurance experience would be advantageous but not essential.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.