FTSE 250 listed business services group looking for a Senior Tax Manager.
I'm working with a leading FTSE 250 listed business services organisation head quartered in London. The business is a market leader in the UK, Germany and Australia and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe Asia and Latin America.
The business operates across the private and public sectors and the group employs over 11,000 staff operating in 33 countries.
The group tax team is in the process of fundamentally restructuring - building its ability to support the global business and transform the support that the tax provides to the group around the world. An individual coming into this role will have the opportunity to shape how the tax team works and interacts with the global business going forwards.
You will have a solid grounding in terms of strong tax technical skills. However, given the key objectives of the team in building strong links with the business and partnering with the people outside of the tax function, you will need to have a highly commercial outlook and an ability to balance tax and commercial concerns.
You will also need to have excellent inter-personal skills, and an ability to build strong relationships with non-tax people. The role will involve a high degree of contact with senior individuals, from the Head of Tax to the CFO, market FDs and senior leaders within the business. Therefore, strong communication skills and an ability to deal effectively with senior stakeholders will be key.
As a key member of a small team, you will need to be both comfortable with dealing with senior individuals and critical tax issues, but also prepared to roll up your sleeves and get involved in the detail. On a personal level, you will be passionate, hard-working and driven.
About the role:
Reporting directly to the Group Head of Tax, the role will provide a broad range of experience.
Key aspects of the role will be delivering the group reporting and forecasting of the ETR - both in terms of delivering the actual numbers and in building strong and efficient processes. The role will also be responsible for tax affairs in the UK and Americas regions - partnering with the business in those markets and ensuring that all tax issues are managed - this will span all corporate tax issues including transfer pricing, managing ad hoc tax issues and opportunities as they arise, supporting on business initiatives or M&A and running any tax projects that may arise in those markets.
Key responsibilities include:
- Own and deliver the tax forecasting and external reporting, working with the Group Head of Tax to brief the CFO
- Support the Group Head of Tax on key initiatives
- Own and develop the group's relationship with HMRC
- Build links with and support international markets
- Run key projects to deliver the objectives of the tax team
- Support the business on restructuring or M&A activity
- Partner with the business to ensure that tax concerns are factored in to commercial decision making and that business initiatives are well supported from a tax perspective
It is envisaged that the split of work between the reporting/forecasting/compliance side of the role and the more advisory/ad hoc business partnering/projects will be about 50:50.
This is a high-profile role within the business, reporting directly to the Group Head of Tax where the successful candidate must be able to communicate effectively across the business with non-tax people.
- Strong international and UK corporate tax expertise
- Experience of working in an in-house tax team for a large multinational or advising such businesses in a large accounting firm
- Qualified accountant
- An ability to think commercially and to balance tax concerns with commercial factors
- Strong communication skills and an ability to explain tax issues to non-tax people
- Highly able to build and maintain strong working relationships with people outside of tax
- Effective project management skills and an ability to manage multiple competing workloads