We are currently recruiting for a Tax Disputes Manager to work within our Tax Advisory Services team. This role could be based out of any of our offices in the South West.
- Demonstrate practical experience of dealing with HMRC (from within or outside of HMRC) and/or advising individuals and clients subject to HMRC enquiries
- Ideally (but not essential) you will have experience of working within HMRC in a varied range of enforcement and compliance roles, i.e. employer compliance, local compliance, specialist roles and/or counter-avoidance
- Hold tax and accountancy qualifications such as CTA and/or ACA/ACCA, however this too is not an essential requirement.
- Experience of managing a portfolio of clients and assignments
- Possess an excellent telephone manner, be able to deal with telephone calls in a courteous, enthusiastic and efficient manner.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills, approachable, and all-round communication skills.
- Ability to work confidently and competently within the tax dispute resolution environment, especially whilst interacting positively with HMRC officers electronically, over the phone or face to face
- Good organisational skills, be able to manage own time efficiently, manage and mentor other staff resources and own workload to ensure ongoing cases are dealt with promptly and efficiently
- Self-motivated and able to show initiative
- Good problem-solving skills.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working as part of the TAS Tax Disputes Team, you will oversee all manner of HMRC enquiry checks and tax investigations, from S9A local compliance checks to Code of Practice 9 suspected fraud enquiries
- Drawing on your experience and knowledge you will offer valued support and a robust courteous defence for our clients
- You will be able to research queries and provide answers supported by reference to legislation and HMRC guidance where necessary
- You will be able to manage client expectations when necessary, providing an honest appraisal and options to take matters forward.
- Provide support, share ideas, impart knowledge with other members of the TAS Team
- Coach and assist less experienced colleagues from within the TAS Team and within the wider General Practice
- Taking a lead role in and managing the assignment process throughout, investigating and resolving problems that may arise during assignments and notifying the Tax and/or Engagement Partner of progress and of any unresolved issues at the earliest opportunity
- Documenting work in a clear and concise manner, ensuring all working papers are legible, easy to follow and well presented
- Maintain and update own tax knowledge and keep up to date with current HMRC procedures and practice, particularly in relation to HMRC settlement and penalty procedures
- Possess a broad working knowledge of general taxation
- Ensure that work is delivered on time and/or to budget
- Management of work-in-progress on all assignments ensuring regular and timely billing and assisting with the prompt collection of debtors
- Taking a lead in and proactively supporting colleagues in client / potential client meetings
- Be involved in internal and external presentations
- Ensure all outgoing work is appropriately reviewed and authorised in accordance with the firm’s Tax Manual.
- Liaise with other departments as necessary on client affairs.
PKF Francis Clark is the place for your career. Our growth offers you the opportunity to expand and develop your career in a direction that interests you. We offer a supportive and flexible working environment, taking your career seriously to enable you to be the best you can be.
Please click ‘Apply Now’. If you don’t have an up-to-date CV or would prefer to chat to someone before applying, get in touch with Keith Lackie on Keith.Lackie@pkf-francisclark.co.uk.
Everyone will receive a response.
PKF Francis Clark doesn’t discriminate. We’re interested in your skills, your experience, your potential, and nothing else.
We are not accepting agency introductions unless prior approval has been given in writing.