Due to the increasing importance of technology in VAT, including the HMRC Making Tax Digital initiative, our client is looking for an experienced indirect tax technology Manager/Associate Director to help drive the delivery of VAT technology projects and services to clients. As well as project delivery, the role will assist with developing new solutions and services and play a key part in growing the VAT Technology service line.
You will have the chance to join a fast growing VAT Technology team focusing on VAT reporting, VAT return automation and VAT data analytics as well as other technology related services to help clients meet their VAT compliance requirements both in the short term and also considering requirements for the longer term. The VAT Technology team sits within the national VAT team and is a core component of our client’s Tax Technology team. The team is also closely aligned with TMC (Technology and Management Consulting), and is integrated with indirect tax technology teams in overseas member firms.
The VAT reporting landscape for businesses will look very different in the next 5-10 year period with a significant focus on data quality and an increase in transactional data reporting. Businesses will have to adapt with new processes and technologies being required to meet these new requirements.
This role provides an exceptional platform for future career development with the ability to be a stakeholder in growing and shaping the team, services offerings and approach to the market and applicants with the energy and drive to take advantage of this are strongly encouraged.
Our client is a leading provider of tax services in the UK. One of the key drivers of that success has been partnering their national network of specialists with market-based teams. They are looking for self-starting individuals who are happy with responsibility, want to work in a dynamic environment and have the flexibility to take the lead and manage multiple engagements/projects with different teams on a simultaneous basis.
The Indirect Tax Technology team has expanded over the last few years and designs and delivers bespoke and innovative client facing tax technology solutions, including technology consulting and software as a service (SaSS) offerings. In addition, the team also supports the wider business in the delivery of internal solutions.
Within this team, our client’s established group of data analytics experts focuses on the delivery of bespoke VAT and Customs data analytics consulting services and proprietary solutions designed to minimise VAT risks for business and automate processes.
They work with market leading software solutions to help deliver these services, such as Alteryx and PowerBI as well as specialist software packages.
Typical clients include FTSE 250 multinationals as well as larger FTSE 100 organisations.
Working directly with the Indirect tax technology lead as well as the wider Indirect tax Partner/Director group, you will play a pivotal role in both the continued development of client facing indirect tax technology service offering as well as project delivery. You will actively lead a number of initiatives to develop and enhance solutions for clients and internal teams, working with subject matter specialists to ensure all relevant skill sets are deployed as appropriate so as to deliver high quality and technically robust offerings.
You will have the opportunity to work at all stages of solution development, from raw idea generation, through concept refinement, development and finally the ultimate rollout to clients and/or our client facing internal teams.
You will assist with (and in due course come to lead) proposals and business development activities as an indirect tax technology specialist – supporting and enhancing the work of our client’s core tax service offerings and at all times collaborating to ensure the best possible service for clients and the firm.
Project delivery includes designing new VAT reporting processes and assisting clients with vendor selection and implementation.
You will work in conjunction with direct tax technology colleagues to ensure technical knowledge and commercial insight gained in any area of tax technology is shared within the wider team and capitalised on to drive new ideas and enhanced client solutions.
Skills and attributes
You will be a proactive individual able to take the lead and manage a variety of projects. Your ability to energetically lead and deliver multiple development and client consulting projects will allow you to make a significant impact both within the indirect tax technology team, and nationally across all Tax service lines.
You will benefit from
- A background in indirect tax technology
- Strong understanding of VAT reporting in the UK
- A general overview and understanding of overseas indirect tax reporting requirements and challenges
- Experience delivering tax advisory engagements
- Experience developing new technology services
- Problem solving / engineering mindset
- Comprehensive understanding of transactional data flows within organisations, and how this is controlled through various ERP and other systems
- Excellent knowledge of data manipulation methodologies and tools
- Prior knowledge of Alteryx and Power BI
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and teams simultaneously
- Willingness to work at all levels on a project, an appreciation of when to delegate and when to roll up your sleeves and ‘get stuck in’
- Excellent IT skills and strong ability to learn new systems quickly
- Awareness of the wider tax technology environment, emerging technologies and client needs
- Ability to work effectively as part of a virtual team, whilst also integrating with local and regional colleagues
- Approachable and supportive with colleagues of all levels
- Always being open to new ideas and seeking input from diverse sources to maximise team potential
- Able to work with and lead diverse teams, ensuring that the skills and experience of each individual are valued and utilised throughout a project
To qualify for the role you must have
- Indirect tax technology experience gained either in-house or in practise
- Experience and knowledge of indirect tax compliance processes
- An understanding, and limited knowledge, of leading Indirect tax technology vendors (e.g. for VAT reporting, tax engines etc.)
- Basic knowledge and experience working with ERP systems
- Accounting or tax qualification or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable interest in technology
- Familiarity with data analytics processes (ideally using Alteryx)
- Experience of Power BI or other data visualisation products
- Ability to lead and inspire a small team, with a desire to significantly increase market share
- Ability to generate and progress business development opportunities
- Experience implementing UK VAT reporting solutions
- Experience implementing global VAT reporting solutions
- Experience implementing tax engines (either 3rd party or ERP tax configuration)
- Experience in emerging technologies (AI, ML, RPA, etc)
Diversity and inclusion
Inclusion and diversity are central to our client’s values. They have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling their people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.