At Roche, we are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are fearless in both decision and action - we believe that good business means a better world. That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigor, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
The Country Tax Manager will focus mainly on Corporation tax; dealing the preparation and filing of computations for the three Roche companies in the UK - Roche Products Limited, Roche Diagnostics LImited and Roche Diabetes Care Limited.
The role will cover all aspects of dealing with the HMRC for the three companies’ tax affairs and have responsibility for managing any related advisory services. VAT, import duties and personal tax matters will also fall into the role, providing guidance to the business where required and dealing with HMRC queries.
This position involves contacts across the businesses as well as the accounting and tax functions both locally and globally, including the Corporate Tax team based in Basel, the accounting services teams based at the local sites and in Budapest as well as external advisory firms that are engaged to support the tax compliance process.
The role is highly visible in the organisation and comes with excellent prospects for future career development.
The role will report directly to the Area Tax Director situated in Basel, Switzerland.
The three operating businesses within the UK; Pharmaceuticals, Diagnostics and Diabetes Care are based at two locations, Welwyn Garden City and Burgess Hill.
You will also report indirectly to the Finance Directors of the three operating companies and be expected to advise the senior management teams at each location of any Tax issues that they need to consider.
The role is new to Roche in the UK
Corporation tax compliance
- Preparation of the relevant information required to complete the annual tax returns
- Review and approval of the annual tax returns to be submitted (submission is via a UK tax agent)
- Manage the relationship with the UK tax agent.
- Dealing with all queries from HMRC (with the exception of payroll/employment related personal tax queries - these are deal with separately via the HR function and their advisors)
- Ensure all tax payments are made on a timely basis
- The monthly and quarterly VAT returns are prepared by the accountancy services teams for each company.
- The Country Tax Manager will be expected to provide support for any VAT queries either coming from the preparation of the VAT returns or from the business
- The Country Tax Manager will also be required to deal with any VAT queries raised by the HMRC.
- Payroll and employment tax matters are deals with by the local HR functions
- The Country Tax Manager will have the responsibility for ensuring the companies meet their PSA filing requirements and dealing with any queries raised by the HMRC
- The Country Tax Manager will be expected to provide internal guidance for the accountancy services teams on Benefit-in-Kind matters arising from accounting transactions and staff expenses.
- The Country Tax Manager will be providing internal tax guidance to the business; senior management and the accounting services teams
- The role will require participation in ad-hoc business and accounting projects as required
- The individual will need to develop the role into one of partnership, trust and open communication across the three businesses and with all levels within the business
- The Country Tax Manager will be expected to manage the external tax agent, ensuring best value is achieved for their services
Education Skills and experience
- A professional qualification in accounting or tax
- Good understanding of UK Taxes (mainly Corporate Taxes and VAT), including dealing with transfer pricing and UK R&D.
- Good accounting knowledge
- Familiar and able to use Roche’s business IT systems – Microsoft Office, SAP and Google being the main ones
- Proven leadership skills with remote leadership experience (initially the role does not have any direct reports, but could be expanded to lead a group of 3-4 people, covering the UK and other territories)
- Extensive level of experience in a multinational company either in a tax function or finance areas with exposure to taxes - or from an accounting and tax services advisory company
- Proven communicator both providing information and gathering information from colleagues outside of the finance and taxes areas
- Role will require regular attendance at the two sites in the UK as well as some travel to Basel and Budapest .
- Knowledge and experience in the healthcare industry an advantage
- Exhibit attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure whilst still maintaining attention to detail and effective controls
- Established record in managing multiple and competing priorities
- Fluent in spoken and written English including business-English.
If you are proud of contributing and feel you have the commitment to leadership, teamwork and innovation that we are seeking, then Roche is the organisation for you. In return we offer a competitive salary plus the excellent benefits you would expect from a blue-chip organisation, including a genuine interest in your development and progression.
To be considered for this position, please apply using the link below.
When completing your application, please ensure you attach an up to date CV and details of your current remuneration package.