We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this VAT Assistant Manager role.
· Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
· Own your own work. You’ll take responsibility for your own case loads and will be trusted to provide sound technical advice to clients with the support of the broader team.
· Be a part of a team. We help our clients understand their indirect tax position, better manage their tax risk, we help improve their cash flow and find efficiencies through better processes, systems and controls.
· Take responsibility. Our VAT team helps manage clients' global indirect tax risks which, as transactional taxes, can quickly become big liabilities. Our large experienced team focus on indirect taxes as UK VAT, international VAT and GST (Goods and Service Tax), and customs duties. You’ll be responsible for servicing our clients on a broad range of assignments.
· Build your brand. You’ll be given the opportunity to establish yourself in a market leading team and will have the support of the whole team in doing such.
The minimum criteria
You must be qualified (ATT, ACA, CTA) with experience of working in a VAT team.
Skills to set you apart
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
· You’ll have experience of managing a sizeable portfolio of tax clients (minimum criteria)
· you'll have gained experience working within a professional services environment
· you’ll possess working knowledge of UK corporate tax legislation
· you’ll have reviewed work and supervised staff in a tax environment
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
View our video below to see what life is like at Grant Thornton.