The purpose of the role is twofold: to ensure that the processes and controls operated by the busines are sufficiently robust from a VAT perspective and that the business transactions are organized in the most VAT efficient way.
- Act as the subject matter specialist for all VAT matters covering both operational compliance and enhanced tax efficiencies
- A key aspect will be to ensure that the VAT impact of international activities and new business channels are handled correctly
- Review business activities, identifying risk exposure and ensure the business remains VAT compliant
- Proactively work with key stakeholders to identify and address VAT opportunities and VAT risks
- Maintain a professional working relationship with UK HMRC VAT officers, acting as the main contact point for correspondence, disclosures and inspections
- Provide technical VAT advice for ongoing business projects
- Identify areas requiring training and improvement. Create the course material and deliver training sessions to the business to improve general VAT understanding and reduce compliance risk
- Monitor changes in VAT legislation and interpretation to identify potential impact on the business and recommend and take appropriate action so the business complies with and obtains the maximum advantage from such changes
- Investigate new VAT registrations and VAT on new products as required.
- Managing and developing key relationships with internal and external stakeholders and provide appropriate technical VAT advice
- Preparation and submission of VAT returns and working schedules (including gathering and analysing data from the underlying accounting systems) to appropriate deadlines
- Support the business with the development of PESM
- Maintenance and reconciliation of VAT accounts and VAT balances and investigating and clearing reconciling items promptly
- Monitoring and ensuring VAT compliance across the group companies
- Investigate and address any queries arising from the VAT returns or raised by the business functions
- In depth technical knowledge of UK & EU VAT law and practice
- Able to complete VAT compliance obligations in line with requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of the MTD for VAT requirements
- A drive for accuracy and completeness
For more information, please contact Mo Hanslod at Brewer Morris.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.